Our teachers are qualified facilitators in the Dandelion Dance™ Approach, which has been developed by our founder, Hannah Beach, over 17 years. Dandelion’s teachers lead classes that support girls and young women in creating dance works based on their own ideas and experiences.
Our teachers are key to our success: they are trained to facilitate supportive and inclusive spaces that allow each girl to connect with her creativity, discover her best self, experience what leadership feels like, and exercise her voice.
The Dandelion Dance™ Approach
It’s an innovative approach to creating inclusive and supportive learning environments for children and youth of all backgrounds and abilities – and it works both in and out of the dance studio.
Our approach blends experiential learning techniques, a strong understanding of childhood development, and a dedication to the principles of equity, inclusion and teaching kids – especially girls – that their voices and perspectives matter. In fact, our approach is so unique and successful that we are regularly asked to provide half-day and one-day workshops to teachers, social workers and other professionals across Canada in the basics of the Dandelion Dance™ Approach.
New Teacher Training Opportunity
This summer, we are offering a rare opportunity for intensive training in Level 1 of the Dandelion Dance™ Approach to a select group of 6-8 applicants. By the end of the week, all participants will have acquired new skills and approaches for creating inclusive, supportive and enriching spaces for children and youth, and will receive a certificate of completion in Level 1 of the Dandelion Dance™ Approach. Up to three participants will be selected for further training between September 2017 and June 2018, with the potential to lead their own classes in Ottawa through our dance school by September 2018.
You don’t have to be a professional dancer, artist or educator to apply for this opportunity. However, you must demonstrate a passion for dance, creative movement or the performing arts, and have some experience in at least one of these areas. Here’s what we are looking for:
- a passion for working with children, especially girls and young women
- a commitment to the power of dance and creative movement for growth and connection
- a demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion
- a belief in the inherent beauty and creativity inside each person – and that anyone can dance.
Dandelion Dance™ has an exceptional team of passionate, creative and dedicated leaders. We are a warm community that is growing and making a profound impact in the Ottawa community and across Canada. We are creating something new and exciting – and we want all of our teachers to grow with us!
We also wish all applicants to have a genuine interest in continuing further training in the Dandelion Dance™ Approach, with a view to leading your own classes starting September 2018. This will consist of: shadowing one of our Head Teachers in one weekly dance class between September 2017 to June 2018; attending monthly mentorship meetings; and completing a continuing education course in childhood development (all funded by Dandelion Dance™).
To apply, please send your resume and a letter of intention by May 15 to Hannah Beach, including the following information:
- Confirmation that you are available for training from July 3 to July 7, 9am-4pm daily, in Ottawa, ON, as well as your interest in continuing further training in the Dandelion Dance™ Approach if you are selected to apprentice with us starting in September 2017.
- Tell us why you are interested in being a teacher at Dandelion, what you would bring to our organization, and what you hope to learn from training with us. Please also indicate if you are most interested in working with younger girls, teens, or don’t know yet (it’s ok to be honest!).
Successful applicants will be notified by May 20, 2017. We look forward to hearing from you.